Monday, August 29, 2011

My Grandma was a Wonderful Lady

As you may or may not have heard, my paternal grandmother, Grandma Shirl, passed away on August 18th 2011.
The night after her memorial service I wrote a reflective entry in my journal that I would like to share with you.

I think there are ideals which my grandmother lived by that everyone should learn from.

August 27th 2011
~10:00 PM

Today was Grandmas memorial service. She was a very inspiring woman. I want to take from her, among other things, the drive that she had. I love that she was the type of woman who never complained. Instead, when the going got rough, she rolled up her sleeves and worked even harder.
Grandma Shirl was a master at keeping a welcoming homestead. My dad was telling me today that before school every morning there would be a delicious hot breakfast (french toast, pancakes, oatmeal etc.) for the 5 kids. Amazing.
Now I know that I'll never be all the wonderful things my grandma was, I am okay with that because I am myself and will do my own wonderful things. I do know that I would like to work towards a couple of ideals however...

-Eat well for your body, there is plenty of deserts and over indulgence to be had when you're working towards death. But when you are vigorously attacking a life in full throttle, you must eat well balanced and highly nutritious meals. (Grandma Shirl was a health nut, but after Grandpa Al passed she gave into her cravings more and became more over indulgent with her desserts.)

- Conduct yourself in a manner that commands respect and warm regards. And treat others this way as well.

-Dress yourself in a timeless fashion. Trends come and go, class is always in style and will keep your budget in line as well.

-Be disciplined for yourself and stern with others. Do not do something you know you shouldn't be doing. Restrain from that temptation and remind others to do the same

-Love your family unconditionally and welcome anybody in with open arms.

Grandma, life is worth living, and boy did you live it up! I hope to squeeze life for all it has as well.
I LOVE YOU
-Madeleine Jane Culbertson

2 comments:

  1. Well said. Of course there were a few years when we did not all leave for school at the same time. At least one of those years I used to eat alone and wake up Mom and Dad as I headed out for the bus at o-dark thirty or the butt crack of dawn (Varnonisms). Mom always had what I wanted in the frig though, stuff for Egg Milk, Corn Meal Mush, Corn toasties, and stuff for French Toast. I was not always that organized with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddy! I did not know your grandma had passed - I'm so sorry to hear this. But what a beautiful tribute you give to her here. I want to put many of these mantras up on my inspiration wall...

    From what I can see, you are already making her so proud through the life you are living and the legacy you are building in your own right! YOU are an inspiration to me!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete